JJ's Down Jamaica Way

JJ's Down Jamaica Way
Reggae Reviews

Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Roots From The Fields - Selassie I

 I recently got my hands on a mint copy of a very rare 7" single, by Roots Of The Field.

It's called 'Selassie I' & the b side dub version is titled 'Conquer' & it's on the 'Roots Of The Field Records Inc' label.
Recorded in 1977 or '78 - (date differs between sources)
This is the only known recording by 'Roots of the Field' & the only release on the 'Roots Of The Field Records Inc' label.
We can probably assume that this recording was self financed by the artist(s), who would have hired musicians & booked a studio & made their own labels, before getting a small number of 7"s pressed up at one of the many (at the time) record pressing plants in Kingston.
Here is a You tube clip of vocal & dub
How long shall the wicked reign 
How long shall I stand this pain
Rasta shall stand & the wicked ones fall
Give I strength, let I free thyself
Selassie I , Father most high
Selassie I , Father most high
(first verse)
Selassie I , Conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah
& then the Dub version - Lovely deep rolling bassline, angelic harmony breaks, huge stabs of piano & a clacking rhythm guitar, eerie harmonica riding over the top & subtle touches of echo on the drums, - Selassie I whoooh!

No comments:

Post a Comment